I felt way under prepared to be a missionary basically every day of my mission for a long time, and there are occasionally still lessons like that. Studying and planning are essential to feeling prepared, but honestly, practice is what makes the biggest difference. I'm sure that after some time of teaching you'll feel comfortable, Mom. And for the future missionaries out there, if you want to feel prepared for your mission, do the following things:
- Read Preach My Gospel, but especially chapter 3. And look up ALL the scriptures that correspond with the doctrines taught therein.
- Be worthy and emotionally able to serve. This should probably be #1. If you have any kinds of sins that need to be discussed with the Bishop, visit with him. If you have any traumas find someone to talk to (Bishop). If you have doubts or worries, talk to the Bishop.
- Practice talking to people you don't know well. At church, at school, where ever! You must talk to every one in the mission. I'm still working on it, but it comes with practice.
- Read your scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon. It's hard to teach about the scriptures if you're not familiar with them.
- Learn how to really pray. Communicate with your Heavenly Father. Don't just thank Him for the same things you thank Him for every day, and ask Him for things like you're at the drive through. Talk about you feelings and insecurities. Be real!
Here's something fun, we found "Dios es Bueno Cafeteria" the other day.
Take care every one, especially Dad and Bro. Ruddy working in the heat!